Virginia Tech® home

Academic Training

When can you apply for academic training?

  • after you received a job offer related directly to your area of study but before your program ends or your DS-2019 form expires, whichever comes first
  • you must be in good academic standing and maintaining status
  • during the summer or an academic semester, if you have academic coursework accrued to cover the period you want to work (example: if you want to work 4 months, then you have to have been enrolled at least 4 months in J1 status)
  • before your DS-2019 form expires or your program ends, if you want to work after graduation


When can you not apply for academic training?

  • if you have requested a waiver of the 2-year home residency requirement
  • if you don't have a job offer
  • if your current DS-2019 has expired or your program already ended


Checklist for application:

  1. Find employment in your field of study
  2. Receive job offer in writing (on company's letterhead)
  3. Fill out application and approval forms for academic training (you can pick up these forms in the Graduate Life Center at Donaldson Brown in Room 120, or download from this site)
  4. Obtain the signature of your advisor or department head on the approval form
  5. Meet with the international student advisor to discuss the details of your academic training (have your application and approval forms, your job offer, your current DS-2019 form and your passport with you)
  6. After your academic training is approved, a new DS-2019 form will be issued to you.

Things to remember:

  • The limitation on academic training for degree seeking studentsis 18 months
  • The limitation on academic training for non-degree students is no longer than the period of time the student was enrolled
  • For post-doctoral positions the initial 18 months may be extended for another 18 months
  • The academic training cannot be longer than the academic coursework
  • Academic training applications have to be processed before the DS-2019 expires or academic program ends
  • You are still in J-1 status when you are on academic training
  • If you travel outside the U.S., you still need a travel signature on your DS-2019 form.