Cranwell Ambassadors Program
A Leadership Development Program in Cranwell International Center
Are you interested in discovering new cultures, making life-long friends, and becoming a global student leader? Then the Cranwell Ambassadors Program (CAP) is for you! This year-long program is designed to develop intercultural skills and includes monthly workshops and training sessions, experiential learning opportunities, and individual mentorship, while equipping and empowering you to represent Cranwell International Center. The Cranwell Ambassadors Program offers a unique professional development opportunity for current Virginia Tech students to build strong global leadership skills and prepare you to thrive in a diverse and interconnected world.
Cranwell Ambassadors will advance the mission of Cranwell International Center by:
- Building an inclusive and welcoming community for and with international students;
- Facilitating meaningful intercultural exchange within the Virginia Tech community and beyond;
- Promoting intercultural learning and understanding to students, faculty and staff;
- Creating intercultural competence development opportunities that benefit their fellow Hokies; and
- Providing guidance to students regarding Experience VT.
Ten Cranwell Ambassadors will be selected. Upon successful completion of the program, Cranwell Ambassadors will receive a stipend.
Cranwell Ambassadors will:
- Attend training sessions in April, early August, and once a month in the fall and spring semesters. The training topics include:
- Personal leadership
- Crisis management
- Intercultural competence
- Intercultural communication
- Justice, diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging in the global setting
- International student experiences
- Event planning
- Public speaking
- Assist with a variety of Cranwell International Center programs and events, including but not limited to:
- Welcome events and support for new international students before and after orientation in August and January.
- At least two Cranwell International Center programs respectively in fall and spring (e.g., international student support programs, campus and community cultural engagement, and/or intercultural learning events).
- Ambassadors will also support large-scale Cranwell International Center events that foster cross- cultural interactions and engagement (e.g., International Education Week, International Street Fair, etc.).
- Complete one assigned CAP leadership project in Fall semester
- Complete one self-initiated CAP leadership project in Spring semester
- Represent Cranwell International Center alongside professional faculty/staff at student-facing fairs (e.g., Gobblerfest)
- Meet with Cranwell International Center professional faculty/staff for monthly individual mentorship meetings
- Complete self-reflection assignment after each engagement
- Complete program evaluation at the end of the program
Cranwell Ambassadors will:
- Understand their own identity, culture, and values
- Understand their own strengths and leadership style
- Understand the foundations of personal leadership
- Develop their intercultural competence
- Enrich their perspectives as leaders by learning to recognize, validate, appreciate, and include others' experiences
- Build strong bonds with other program participants
Qualifications and Expectations:
- Must have attended VT in person for at least one academic year
- Must be enrolled full-time
- Must be in good academic standing with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 (undergraduate student) and 3.5 (graduate student)
- Must have demonstrated excellent interpersonal and communications skills
- Must commit to complete all program requirements
The application will be active from March 24, 2023 through Apr. 9, 2023. Completed applications must be submitted by 11:59 PM on April 9, 2023. For additional questions, email Mingzhi Li, Assistant Director for International Student Programs in Cranwell International Center, at firstname.lastname@example.org.