Reinstatement to F-1 Student Status
Students must apply for reinstatement to F-1 student status in the following situations:
- if your I-20 or DS-2019 form expires before you complete your academic program
- if you violate your immigration status in other ways (see Maintaining Legal F-1/J-1 Status)
Reinstatement is adjudicated by USCIS. The procedure may take 3-6 months or longer.
In your reinstatement application, you must:
- Explain the circumstances of the violation
- Show intent to follow USCIS regulations in the future
- Prove that no unauthorized employment occurred
If or when the application is approved, USCIS will send you an approval notice, including a new I-94 document. If the request is denied, you must leave the U.S. by the voluntary departure date issued by USCIS.
Students waiting for reinstatement are not eligible to work or take advantage of other benefits associated with F-1 status until the reinstatement request is approved.
Although International Graduate Student Services (IGSS) is not required to read or verify information in your application, we will be happy to review the completed packet with you.