Virginia Tech®home

Transfer Procedures for International Students

Students in F-1 or J-1 status may transfer to a different school or campus before or after completing a program at their current school or campus. To be eligible for transfer, you must maintain status at all times and follow the transfer procedures as prescribed by USCIS and Department of State.

Steps to follow when applying for transfer:

  • Apply to and be accepted by the school or campus to which you wish to transfer.
  • Inform the international office of the school or campus you are currently attending of your intention to transfer .
  • Contact the new school or campus to determine the documents required by the international student office so a new I-20 or DS-2019 can be issued for you.

Transferring to Virginia Tech (Transfer In)

  • Once you are admitted, you will need to submit financial and immigration documents, as well as information about your transfer.  The international student advisor at your current school will also have to sign this form. Our SEVIS school codes, depending on your campus of admission, are:
    • Blacksburg campus: WAS214F01228001 Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University – Graduate School
    • National Capital Region campus: WAS214F01228003 Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University – Northern Virginia Extended Campus Sites
    •  J-1 program code: P-1-00071, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University 
  • Submit the completed and signed SEVIS Transfer Information Form:
    • Blacksburg students: through the IntlHokies portal
    • National Capital Region students: submit paper form to immigration advisors in Falls Church
  • Your SEVIS record will be released by your current school and our office will issue you a new I-20 or DS-2019 as appropriate.
  • Your new form will indicate that your transfer is pending.
  • Your transfer will be considered complete after you report to our office, enroll in classes and we issue you a new form indicating that you have completed the transfer.
  • Please note that you MAY NOT work at Virginia Tech until you have completed the transfer and been issued a new form indicating the completion of transfer (="Continued attendance" on the first page, "transfer completed" notation on the second page)

Transferring from Virginia Tech (Transfer Out) 

Once you are accepted by another school or campus, request the transferring of your SEVIS record: 

  • If you are transferring out from the Blacksburg campus, log into the IntlHokies portal and complete the Transfer Out e-form under F-1 Student Services. 
  • If you are transferring out from the National Capital Region campus, complete the Transfer Out form and submit it to your immigration advisor in Falls Church.

When transferring out, you must specifiy the date on which your SEVIS record should be released to your new school or campus. Release dates must be after the last day you were enrolled at Virginia Tech and/or last day of your employment. The release of your SEVIS record ends all employment authorizations, including OPT. 

After we receive your transfer out request, we will review your record and release it to the other school or campus if you meet all eligibility requirements. Your new school or campus will issue you an I-20/DS-2019 as appropriate, and you will have to complete the transfer process by reporting to and enrolling at the new school.