Virginia Tech®home

Additional Resources


Learn about SEVIS, an Internet-based system that maintains current academic and immigration information on non-immigrant students and their dependents.

Comparison of F1 and J1 Visa

An outline of the major differences between F1 and J1 student visas.

Contact Persons

Immigration advisors from the Graduate School are available to assist you

Cranwell International Center

The Cranwell Center provides immigration advising and other services for international undergraduate students. It also offers social events and activities for the international student and scholar population and their families.

Department of Homeland Security

Provides information for international students who want to study in the U.S.

Educational Testing Services (ETS)

ETS provides standardized tests including the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) and Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). Find out about test center locations, schedules, registration information, computer based testing, sample questions, and more.

Immigration Terms

Glossary of words frequently used in immigration processes.

Understanding Visa and Visa Status

Learn the important distinction between a visa and your visa status.

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)

The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services of the Department of Homeland Security provides first hand information about immigration services and benefits. You may learn about regulations and policies, read their newsletter, and download immigration forms. USCIS Code of Federal Regulations for F-1 Student Status.

U.S. Department of State

The website of the Department of State provides travel information and advisories, information about visas, and listings of U.S. consulates abroad. Code of Federal Regulations for J-1 Exchange Students

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (USICE)

The largest investigative arm of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). Their website contains information about becoming an academic student in the United States, maintaining your status, and arriving at a port of entry.

SEVIS I 901 Fee

Details about the fee required by non-immigrant students who are seeking an F1 or J1 visa.