Extension Request Procedures for J-1 Students
J-1 students are eligible for program extension if they have continually maintained status by following all J-1 program requirements as described by the sponsor, the Department of State, and USCIS. The extension is granted only if:
- the student has well documented academic or medical reasons for the delay;
- it is supported by the academic department and approved by one of the Immigration Advisors/Responsible Officers at the Graduate School;
- the request and supporting documents are submitted at least 30 days before the expiration of the DS-2019 form.
Extensions are usually granted one semester at a time; if warranted, an extension for a longer period may be approved.
Please follow the steps below:
- Secure an original personal bank statement; or an original affidavit of support and original bank statement for a sponsor; an assistantship contract or other original, official financial certification showing sufficient funding for the requested extension period.
- Have your advisor complete and sign the Departmental Support Form explaining why you need additional time to complete degree requirements, describing your plan for degree completion, and giving us the new completion date for your degree.
- Log into the IntlHokies portal and complete the DS-2019 Extension Request e-form under J-1 Student Services. Upload all supporting documents as prompted.
- We will notify you by email when your extension request is approved and your new DS-2019 form is ready for pick up.
DO NOT throw away any of your old IAP-66 or DS-2019 forms since you may need them in the future if you want to change your immigration status.