Extension Request Procedures for F-1 Students
F-1 students who are unable to finish their program requirements by the program end date listed on the Form I-20 are eligible to apply for a program extension if they have otherwise continually maintained lawful status. Please note that applying for an extension does not guarantee approval - your request must be thoroughly reviewed within the context of related federal regulations and university policies before this can be determined. If you or your department have questions about extension, please contact one of our international student advisors directly.
The extension request must be submitted at least 3 weeks prior** to the program end date and must meet the following criteria:
- there must be documented evidence of a compelling academic or medical reason(s) for the delay; please note that extensions will not be issued for the following circumstances:
- to take a class not listed on your Plan of Study;
- delays due to academic probation and/or suspension;
- delays due to authorized off-campus employment (CPT or pre-completion OPT);
- delays that are not essential to the completion of your program.
- the extension must be supported by your academic department;
- there must be evidence of additional financial support provided for the additional time requested or one year (whichever is less) - you may review the Financial Requirements page for more information;
- if the extension period will be your final semester and you are eligible to enroll less than full-time , please also be sure to submit the Reduced Enrollment Request through the IntlHokies Portal.
**IMPORTANT NOTE: It's extremely important to submit your request in a timely manner because once your program end date has passed, we are no longer able to extend your record. Therefore, failure to obtain an extension prior to your program end date could result in the termination of your SEVIS record. If your record is terminated, but you still wish to continue in your current program, you will need to reach out to an International Student Advisor to discuss your options.
- Secure necessary financial documents showing sufficient funding for the requested extension period; you may review the Financial Requirements page for more information.
- Ensure that you have the correct name and email address for your academic advisor, as you must provide this information in the e-form.
- Log into the IntlHokies Portal and complete the Form I-20 Extension Request e-form under "F-1 Student Services"; please make sure that you upload all requested supporting documents.
- Once you submit your request, you will receive an email confirmation that you submission has been received and your academic advisor will receive an email informing them to confirm information regarding your extension request. Please note that we cannot process your request until your advisor completes their section.
- Once all information from both you and your Academic Advisor has been reviewed, your International Student Advisor will email you to notify you that your request has been either approved, denied, or requires additional information.