Virginia Tech®home


Academic Training Application

J-1 students who are in good academic standing and maintaining status may be eligible to apply for academic (practical) training.

Alternative Insurance Compliance Form

F-1 and J-1 students (and their dependents) are required by university policy to have valid health and accident insurance. Use this form to prove that you have an acceptable insurance plan if other than the VT-sponsored student insurance by Aetna. 

Certification of Enrollment Request

Use this form to request certification of enrollment for entities in your home country, such as banks, scholarship agencies or military organizations. Enrollment certification requests within the U.S. must be directed to the University Registrar's office that provides the official university academic enrollment certification.

Change of address (report in Hokie SPA)

F-1 and J-1 students must report all changes of their physical address in the U.S. within 10 days of the change. Address changes must be updated in Hokie SPA according to the following standards:

  • Enter your U.S. residential address as your Mailing Address (MA): 
    • Enter your street address in <Address Line 1> without using any commas or period, followed by apartment number or letter, if any
    • Do not put anything into  <Address Line 3>
    • Enter your city, state and ZIP code in the appropriate fields
    • Leave county and nation fields blank
    • Enter your US phone number (cell phone or landline) in the <Primary Phone Number for This Address> field, entering the 3-digit area code in the <Area Code> field, and the 7-digit number in the <phone number> field
  • If you live in a residence hall on campus, you do not need to do anything; your address will be entered by the Housing Office.

Address updates are reported to SEVIS through a daily data feed each time you update your address in Hokie SPA. 

Departmental Support for Extension (Advisor Letter)

Extension requests for I-20 or DS-2019 form must be accompanied by the Departmental Support Form, completed and signed by your academic advisor,  explaining the need for additional time, describing your plan for degree completion, and providing a new completion date for your degree.

Dependent I-20 or DS-2019 Request

Log into the IntlHokies portal to request an I-20 or DS-2019 form under F-1 or J-1 Student Services for a dependent: a spouse, partner or minor child.  

OPT Application

Students in F1 status may be eligible to apply for Optional Practical Training (OPT) which provides 12 months of work authorization.  Information about OPT, a checklist of documents required for requesting OPT, and links to forms can be found at optional practical training (OPT). You can also find instructions for Cap-Gap extension. 

STEM OPT Extension Application

Review our STEM OPT website for information and application requirements, then log into the IntlHokies portal to complete the STEM OPT application e-form and upload all required documents. Do not email or mail your STEM OPT application to IGSS. The Graduate School does not process STEM OPT applications for students who have not completed a Virginia Tech graduate degree. Allow at least three weeks for IGSS processing.

OPT STEM 6, 12 and 18 Month Validation Report

Log into the IntlHokies portal to complete the 6-, 12- and 18-month validation report, which must be submit to validate STEM OPT employment at the 6, 12 and 18 month mark. 

Transfer In Form

New students transfering from another US institution must complete and upload this form in IntlHokies portal as part of the process of requesting a new I-20 or DS-2019 form (regardless of whether they graduated or not from their previous institution).

Transfer Out Form

This form should only be used by international students transfering from the National Capital Region campus to the Blacksburg campus or to another school in the United States (regardless of whether they completed their program at Virginia Tech or not). Blacksburg students should log into the Intl Hokies portal and complete the Transfer Out e-form under F-1 Student Services.