Virginia Tech®home


Students in F-1 or J-1 status may accept employment under certain conditions.  Please note, this page is meant for informational purposes only - if you have questions about or would like to determine your eligibility for F-1 or J-1 employment, please contact Cranwell International Center.

On-Campus Employment

All F-1 or J-1 students are permitted to work on-campus. J-1 students are required to report on-campus employment each semester. During the Fall and Spring semester, and during other terms where a student is enrolled full-time, students are limited to 20 hours or less of work per week. Violation of this restriction could mean termination of your status, so please be sure to stay aware of hours worked. A work week starts each Saturday at 12:01 am and ends on the following Friday at 11:59 pm. While classes are not in session and students are on an official break, students are eligible to work over 20 hours per week. 

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) for F-1 Students

CPT is a temporary work authorization granted by an International Student Advisor that allows F-1 students to pursue practical training directly related to their field of study while they are still earning their degree. CPT is defined to be alternative work/study, internship, cooperative education, or any other type of required internship or practicum that is offered by sponsoring employers through cooperative agreements with the school. If you are unsure if the work you plan to participate in is considered CPT, please be sure to ask your International Student Advisor before you begin. For more information about CPT and how to apply, please visit our CPT page


IMPORTANT NOTICEAll seminars for the Spring 2020 semester are currently canceled until further notice and attendance of a seminar is not required at this time in order to apply for CPT authroization. 

Optional Practical Training (OPT) for F-1 Students

Students who are graduating and wish to seek employment afterwards will need to apply for Post-Completion OPT. Post-Completion OPT provides employment authorization in the United States for at least one year, with an additional two year STEM Extension available to students who graduate with a STEM-eligible degree. Employment must be related to a student's field of study. For more information about the OPT application process, please visit our OPT website. If you are ready to apply for your STEM OPT extension, you can visit the 24-Month STEM OPT Extension website


IMPORTANT NOTICE: All seminars for the Spring 2020 semester are currently canceled until further notice and attendance of a seminar is not required at this time in order to apply for OPT authroization. 

Academic Training for J-1 Students

J-1 students are permitted to accept employment directly related to their field of study through academic training.  Academic training may not exceed a cumulative total of 18 months, or the period of full course of study in the US - whichever is less.  Your J-1 program sponsor approves academic training. If you would like more information, please set an appointment by visiting our homepage and clicking on the "Schedule an Appointment" button.  

Quick link to OPT Information 

Quick link to CPT Information 


For a schedule of upcoming Career and Professional Development-sponsered career fairs, click here!


For a schedule of other upcoming VT-affiliated career fairs, click here!


Need help finding employment? Want to learn more about building a resume, maximizing your networking skills, how to dress for an interview, and more? Don't miss upcoming events by checking the Career and Professional Development website!