Virginia Tech® home


Students in F-1 or J-1 status may accept employment under certain conditions.  Please note, this page is meant for informational purposes only - if you have questions about employment or would like to determine your eligibility please attend our workshops or contact an International Student Advisor. 

On-Campus Employment

All F-1 or J-1 students are permitted to work on-campus. While F-1 students are not required to report their on-campus employment, J-1 students are required to report their on-campus employment each semester.

During the Fall and Spring semester, and during other terms where a student is enrolled full-time, students are limited to 20 hours or less of work per week. Violation of this restriction could mean termination of your status, so please be sure to stay aware of hours worked. A work week starts each Saturday at 12:01 am and ends on the following Friday at 11:59 pm. While classes are not in session and students are on an official break, students are eligible to work over 20 hours per week. 

For more information about requirements, please visit our On-campus page.

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

CPT is a temporary work authorization granted by an International Student Advisor that allows students in F-1 status to pursue practical training directly related to their field of study while they are still earning their degree. CPT is defined to be alternative work/study, internship, cooperative education, or any other type of required internship or practicum that is offered by sponsoring employers through cooperative agreements with the school. If you are unsure if the work you plan to participate in is considered CPT, please be sure to ask your International Student Advisor before you begin.

For more information about requirements and applying, please visit our CPT page

Optional Practical Training (OPT)

Students in F-1 status who are graduating and wish to seek employment afterwards will need to apply for Post-Completion OPT. Post-Completion OPT provides employment authorization in the US for at least one year, with an additional two year STEM Extension available to students who graduate with a STEM-eligible degree. Employment must be related to a student's field of study.

For more information about requirements and applying for Post-Completion OPT, please visit our Post-Completion OPT page.

For more information about requirements and applying for the STEM Extension, please visit our 24-Month STEM OPT Extension page

Academic Training

Student in J-1 status are permitted to accept employment directly related to their field of study through academic training.  Academic training may not exceed a cumulative total of 18 months, or the period of full course of study in the US - whichever is less. Additionally, your J-1 program sponsor must approve your academic training.

For more information about requirements and applying, please visit our Academic Training page. 

Obtaining a Social Security Number (SSN)

International students in F-1 and J-1 status who are currently engaging in or have obtained authorized employment are eligible to apply for a SSN at a Social Security Administration (SSA) field office.  

For more information about requirements and applying, please visit our SSN page

Tax Implications

As a nonresident F-1 or J-1 student, if have an on or off campus position, you will need to file tax forms each year with the IRS. It is your individual responsibility to understand and meet your tax obligations. U.S. tax laws can be complex and confusing and the laws that apply to internationals are not the same as those that apply to U.S. citizens. Please visit our tax page for more information.

Career and Professional Development

Need help finding employment? Want to learn more about building a resume, maximizing your networking skills, how to dress for an interview, and more? Don't miss upcoming events and opportunities by checking the Career and Professional Development website!