To come to the United States as a student, you must first obtain a visa. The two most common visa categories that students use to study in the United States are F-1 and J-1. Both categories require full-time study per semester. Become familiar with the Student and Exchange visitor Information System (SEVIS), and other immigration requirements that could hinder your travel to the United States.