As you work toward your degree, you will be asked to comply with various U.S. regulations. What set of regulations you must follow depends on your status, J-1 or F-1. To better understand the regulations of your status, select J Visa Holders or F Visa Holders from the navigation on the left, depending on your status. It is your responsibility to maintain a legal status in the United States.